Mums@Work- Networking Day on 11th Nov

11th November was a day I had marked in my calendar since the last 1 month for it was to be MY day - my day both as a Mum and as someone who is recognized for being more than just a Mum. It was to be my day when I could step out of the house, meet enterprising Mums, mums who are having a second go at their careers or or self-starters of home-grown businesses. It was a Networking Day for mums-like me organized by a Mumpreneur Sher-li Torrey, founder of Mums@work (Singapore) whom I had only known through mails and sharing of articles.

I was looking forward to socialize for fun and network for business. I was hoping to pick up some tips on how to balance my life which is a constant tussle between what I want to achieve some day and the household duties which consume me every day. To be honest I was a little nervous too; after all it had been 4 long years since I was attending a gathering of people who are not family or friends- at least not yet.

When I reached the venue and looked at the friendly faces of other Mums and even some expectant Mums; smelled the aroma of fresh tea and coffee and home-baked cupcakes; my frayed nerves relaxed. I quite liked the buzz...zz of chatter which sounded off in between presentations and changed the atmosphere from business-like to almost a class room of giggly teenagers exchanging notes, a laugh and a tease! I was enjoying it!

I was most impressed by how smoothly the whole event progressed despite a heavy downpour and the absence of a Mum presenter whose presentation ''Personal Branding and the Art of Networking'' was handled beautifully by Ms. Sher-li.

So, I enjoyed the event, enjoyed the cup cakes and enjoyed my day-out! But when I reached home, my husband (who had kindly volunteered to work from home that day to so that I could attend) asked if the event had been useful for me, had it been worth attending? It really got me thinking and I decided to piece in together whatever I assimilated from the event both directly and indirectly.

1. Mums can meet and talk business too- Many, many people around the world (yes even in this age) find it hard to belive that women can meet and talk about anything else than their children or shopping. So it feels good to really have talked business- creating your personal brand, managing an online business, using networking as a marketing tool and so much more.

2.Mums are exploring new, creative ways to do business and identifying what they do best in order to make investing time and money worth their while. The activities are as diverse as selling unique patticakes to homeschooling, from career coaching to Taxation consultancy, from baking to selling baby apparels and accessories. Talking to these Mums made me realize how strongly they believe in what they are doing or planning to do and that the motivation and drive that makes them sacrifice their sleep and leisure time is worth applause.

3 ''Finding the balance in who you are the work you do'' - As Ms.Teng, Teng the first presenter of the event and a Career-coach and founder of GROW said its important to recognize what you are good at and why they are certain things you can or cannot do. It's also ok to experiment and find out what you can do best and what's just not your cup of tea. I really liked that part as she emphasised that our experiences are never a waste of time, they all contribute in someway in shaping what we ultimately do and become.

I quit my job as a Senior Executive Officer in National Stock Exchange of India Limited 4 years ago to accompany my husband on his various project postings, which took us to Sweden, UK and now Singapore. During this period my son,now 3, was born and I decided I wanted to be a hands-on Mum to him and try to bring him up with the love and attention that I had received from my mother when I was a kid. But as he started growing up, I felt this great need to use my talent and my mind in some other constructive, productive uses too. I started looking for things I could do online because that can ensure continuity, so that even if we need to travel again, I could carry on without disruption. I looked around, found many alluring lucrative online activities I could pursue but never could get around to starting on any of them, maybe because I did not believe in them or their success enough.

On introspection, I realized that there definitely was something I had never stopped doing -and that was penning down my thoughts and it was something which I loved doing, which came naturally to me and which I can never get bored of. I decided to become a freelance writer and though my earnings are still quite low - I am happy and secure in the knowledge that this is something which I NEVER NEED TO QUIT.

4. Finally, it seems heartening to know that we are all in it together. As Mums, we view our responsibility very seriously. As self-starters we all have our trepidations, our dilemmas, our share of struggles and sleepless nights. But we still perserve till we get it right, only as MUMS can do!

So to all fellow Mums at mumsatwork, Sher-li, Lennie, Heng Teng Teng, Rachel, Pauline, Norah, Sam, Regina, Felicia, Mutya,Yati, Shamala,Ritu (names are not in particular order and only out of my memory) and all other lovely Mums ....it was great meeting you! Thanks for making my day!

Let's all keep working and networking till next time.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Martians read? Book Review- ''Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus''

The Beauty of Nothingness!

My Maiden Attempt at Meditation and The Lessons Learnt!