My Maiden Culinary Post- Baked Pomfret with Mint Stuffing


This is my first culinary post folks and I am hoping all of you will encourage my maiden effort.!

I have been inspired to dish out this post by a few of my friends and fellow bloggers who post recipes on a regular basis. And whenever I happen to view their blog posts, I plan to pen down my own culinary escapades (which are a plenty as I love cooking). But usually in my house, the dish is consumed and burped down before it can be arranged and photographed!!!  And my blog post is forgotten till the next time I read another interesting recipe.

I am even more thrilled about this post as it is a fish- recipe. Seafood including fish is not my strong point in either cooking or eating.  I belong to North India where non-vegetarian food is limited mainly to chicken and lamb. But my husband, an Oriya relishes fish and my kids also love the texture and simple flavours of fish such as salmon, cod and pomfret. So I decided to give this dish a try. I was also inspired by a similar dish I ate at an Indian restaurant in Singapore which looked great and tasted even better.

Fresh out of the Oven

Ingredients

4 Medium Black or White Pomfret - cleaned, washed with the head removed.

For the marinade:

Mint - 2 bunches
Coriander - 1 bunch
Onion - 1 medium
Ginger - 3/ 4 strips
Green Chili- 2 medium
Cumin Seeds roasted - handful
Lemon Juice - of half a lemon
Tomato -1 medium
Oil- 2 tablespoons
Salt - as per taste

Process:
  • Blend all the ingredients of the marinade together, using little water. 
  • Stuff the pomfrets with as much marinade as possible and rub the rest of the marinade on all sides of the fish. 
  • Marinate for at least 2 hours. 
  • For best results wrap the pomfrets in  banana leaves or aluminium foil.
  • Bake the fish with the wrapping in a convection oven/ combination oven at 200 degree centigrade for 15- 20 minutes till properly cooked. 
  • For browning, open the foil and grill the fish on a baking rack or tray in the oven. (A barbecue grill or over-the -hob grill plate can also be used.)
  • Turn the fish over for uniform browning. (5- 10 minutes on each side should be enough). Grilling for longer will dry the fish.
  • For extra crispiness, brush the fish with oil before grilling.
  • Garnish the dish hot with onion, tomato, lemon rings and bell peppers. 
  • Serve hot with rice or chapatti. 
Serves 4- 6.

Total preparation time : 20 mins.
Total cooking time : 40 mins

This dish was cooked to perfection using the Sharp Healslo Super-steam convection oven and microwave.

The Final Product

Hope you enjoyed this recipe.  Do give me your feedback if you try the dish at home. Till then, happy cooking !!

Comments

Maryam said…
ooooh- this looks yummy! congrats on yr first recipe post Puja!
i love pomfret but mayb I can try with some other fish?
puja said…
Thanks Maryam! yes I guess you can try any other medium sized fish as long as it is used whole and not as a fillet -so that you can stuff the marinade well. Secondly, the type of fish you use should not be such that the taste of the mint chutney clashes with it rather the mint should complement the taste of the fish ....for example this recipe wont go well with salmon which tastes best when cooked simple ....what do you think? do try the recipe and give me your feedback....

Popular posts from this blog

Can Martians read? Book Review- ''Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus''

The Beauty of Nothingness!

An Ode to the Humble Kurta Pyjama and Salwar Kameez!