An open letter to my dear son on his 7th Birthday!

To,

My dear son, my super-hero, my little champ!

As you turn 7 today, memories of when I carried you back home in my arms from the hospital 7 years back come flooding to me. I remember the time the doctor held you up to show me how you looked; how the nurses and doctors at the Redbridge Hospital in London surrounded you, marvelling at how well formed your features were! They were meant to be- after all I had nurtured you in my womb for 42 weeks -a good 12 days after the due date!  

I remember the time when the nurse placed you on my chest and in my arms for the first time and you flicked your eyes open for a second-  a wave of emotions- so strong, so overwhelming enveloped me, that in that instant I forgot the gruelling 48 hours of labour  I had gone through to give birth to you. It was magical and even though I didn't realise it then, that moment changed my life forever.

May 2008 -1st Birthday 

It is true when they say, "A mother holds the baby in her womb for 9 months but in her heart forever."

From then on, till now, I have grown as a parent, I have made mistakes (who doesn't), I have floundered, I have felt guilty but I have tried, I have honestly tried hard to parent you well! And when you grow up, my son, I hope you will realise that every moment of every day, Mama had you and your best interest in her mind and heart, even when she was disciplining you and even when you said you never want to talk to me, ever, for the hundredth time!!

May 2011, 4th Birthday 

May 2013, 6th Birthday

I hope you will realise one day, that Mama tried to always cherish you with love and do whatever it took to make you happy! And even though Mama cannot be physically with you all the time- and as you grow Mama needs to let you go sometimes, to let you be on your own, to find your own space, make your own friends,  take your own small decisions and fight your own battles - Mama wishes she can be around all the time, protecting you from everything and everyone who can hurt you!

Today is a day of celebration and I want to celebrate the joy of being your mother and of you being my son, my firstborn. I want to celebrate all the moments- the moments you have made me so proud that my chest seemed to explode; the moment you said something really sweet and made my day; the moment I hugged you and you hugged me back with abandon. Yes we have had moments filled with anger and disappointment and angst but which relationship doesn't? And this is a relationship which is as pure as the first toothless smile you gave me 7 years back! So I hope you will cherish this love in your heart forever just as I will today and always!

Happy Birthday, my champ :)

Love,
Mama
Sporting the Intellectual look

At the soccer fiesta


The First Marathon Runner of the family ...after completing an 800 m sprint



With his little bro

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Martians read? Book Review- ''Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus''

The Beauty of Nothingness!

An Ode to the Humble Kurta Pyjama and Salwar Kameez!